The MFG and Sixth Form Business Mentoring Programme
In recent years, The MFG and Sixth Form has developed a close relationship with many local businesses. As a result of researching the positive impact of Business Mentoring Schemes nationally, a Business Mentoring Programme has been established. The programme has supported targeted Year 10 students to start planning and preparing for their future career aspirations and also raise their awareness of the options available to them. The students meet once a month in a 40 minute breakfast meeting with their Business Mentor. The students have had the opportunity to discuss with their mentors: goal setting, CV writing and developing a successful Record of Achievement, interview skills, presentation skills and out of school development opportunities. The students are very grateful for the time their mentors have volunteered throughout the programme and it has proved to be a great success with some of the noted benefits cited by the students as:
- 'Obtaining a better understanding of the world of work'
- ''Increasing self-confidence'
- ''Feeling more informed to make decisions about further education, apprenticeships or job applications'
- 'Gaining increased knowledge of how to write a successful CV and make a ‘Record of Achievement’ stand out from the crowd'
- ' Gaining increased knowledge of how to prepare for and feel confident in an interview'
- 'Improving ability to confidently communicate with adults'
- 'Being even more motivated to take ownership of my future'