Opportunities and Enrichment
The Sixth Form Enrichment Programme has been developed to provide unique opportunities for students to demonstrate, learn and evidence new skills and understanding in settings suitable to their individual career path.
All of our Year 12 students embark upon a high quality Professional Placement week (work experience) which enables them to develop and evidence the knowledge and skills required in order to secure the university course or higher level apprenticeship of their choice.
Enrichment opportunities include:
• Aspire Programme (With HE+ access)
• Career Spotlights
• Charity Committee
• STEM Electronics and Robotics
• Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
• Guided reading supporting lower school students
• Intervention Mentoring Programme
• Learning support with main school students
• National Citizen Service (NCS)
• NHS work experience placements
• Police Explorers
• Progression Module
• Rotary Youth Leadership Award
• School production – stage and costume creation
• Sixth Form Ambassadors
• Volunteering eg Royal Voluntary Service
• Whole School/Sixth Form Council Representatives
Wellbeing and Fitness opportunities include:
• Boys’ Rugby League Team
• Basketball Club
• Boys’ Football Team
• Boys’ Football (recreational)
• Chess Club
• Discounted Gym Membership
• Duke of Edinburgh
• Ladies’ Only Fitness
• Winter Mountain Expedition
Professional Work Experience Placements
At The Mirfield Free Grammar Sixth Form, we have a distinct ethos which focuses on developing all our students as individuals; providing them with the opportunities to enable them to become independent, enriched and ready for their chosen next steps.
To help develop aspirations and to inform future progression routes, our Year 12 students undertake a high quality Professional Placement for one week. This opportunity offers a purposeful high level of challenge that is relevant to their career aspirations and/or Level 3 courses.
The MFG Sixth Form pay for background checks for these self-sourced placements, however students will be responsible for any supplementary fees for placements that require additional paperwork, such as placements out of the Kirklees area (prices vary, but are typically from £40) or DBS checks (£56).